Health and Safety Outsourcing – Health and Safety Officer
CREST Education Safety Services offer health and safety support to schools by taking on the responsibility of employing extra staff and outsourcing their time. In outsourcing health and safety to us it allows you to allocate significant spend elsewhere. The expense of recruiting a full time health and safety officer with school based experience is not one many schools can afford.
It is important for schools to manage health and safety effectively. Our Health and safety outsourcing package provides you with an onsite competent person who will assist your school leaders/management in fulfilling their legal requirements.
Health and safety outsourcing offers your school the following benefits:
- School staff will be able to focus on their main role.
- Our professionals have a wealth of knowledge and experience relating to health and safety in schools.
- Our professionals will develop a health and safety action plan and work through it to ensure your needs are met, legislation is complied with and best practice is achieved.
- Our professionals will update school leaders/managers and make relevant amendments to policies, procedures and risk assessments when required.
- Our professionals will review and analyse accident, incident and near miss reports and be at hand to carry out investigations if necessary.
- Our professionals will liaise with the HSE, Fire Service, insurance services and other agencies when required.
- Our professionals will be on site one morning or one full day per week (alternative support can be negotiated if required).
Our highly qualified and experienced health and safety professionals support schools, PRUs and academy leaders in meeting their statutory duty to protect staff, pupils and visitors involved in or affected by school activities.
Our professionals help you to promote a positive health and safety culture.
This service is tailored to meet the needs of your school, its statutory duties and best practice.
At the start of the academic year a dedicated health and safety officer meets with your school’s responsible person for health and safety to discuss and plan the support you require.
Our health and safety outsourcing service includes;
- Access to an online health and safety management system which includes access to:
- a health and safety information library,
- risk assessment module,
- audits, inspections and checklists module,
- an asset management module and
- task manager system
- Competent health and safety advice and wellbeing support on site, over the telephone or via email.
- Access to the CREST Education Safety Services Online Accident Reporting System to enable you to report all work related incidents (if required).
- Initial site visit to support serious accident/incident investigation.
- Management of RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) reportable incidents/dangerous occurrences including support for investigation and reporting to the HSE on your behalf (where relevant).
- A comprehensive audit of health and safety management systems each academic year including an action plan and a report on health and safety performance for the Governing Body.
- Advising school leaders/managers and developing of school specific health and safety policies, procedures, management checklists and supporting guidance updated in line with new legislation, case law and good practice.
- Advising school leaders/managers and developing of curriculum policies, procedures and risk assessments – PE, Science including radiation monitoring in secondary schools, Design and Technology (including food technology), Art and Performing Arts and supporting guidance updated in line with new legislation, case law and good practice.
- Development of risk assessments including fire.
- Advice on person-specific risk assessments in order to fulfil legal responsibilities (e.g. Health and Safety including stress management, Fire Safety and Equality Act), including where necessary face to face visits.
- Access to our Wellbeing Support Package
- Wellbeing support to meet the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive’s Management Standards.
- Support to achieve a Workplace Wellbeing Charter to demonstrate commitment to health and wellbeing within your workplace.
- Development of fire safety and emergency planning procedures.
- Support with developing COSHH [Control of Substances Hazardous to Health] assessments.
- Health and safety inspection and advice.
- Property management audit.
- Equipment inspections including ladders and play equipment.
- Kitchen and catering inspections.
- Development of an asbestos management plan where a pre-existing asbestos management survey is in place.
- Support undertaking asbestos containing materials inspections.
- Attendance at 1 committee meeting per academic year.
- Regular newsletters including case law, incidents and items of interest.
- Free eLearning health and safety awareness tailored to the school.
Contract duration: 2 years